October 25-26, 2018
St. John’s, Newfoundland
# attendees: 21
Food First NL preparing 3 schools in Newfoundland to launch new F2S programs with funding from the F2CC F2S Canada Grants.
Food First NL hosted a fun 2-day Farm to School training event in Newfoundland to prepare 3 new schools to launch F2S programs, including healthy, local salad bars.
Any additional details to highlight?
- Knife skills demo from Red Seal Chef Angie Ryan from School Lunch Association; techniques to take back to share with students and volunteers.
- Participants prepared their own salad bar toppings with local vegetables to top delicious tacos from Soul Azteka.
- Menu planning session with Regional Nutritionists from Eastern Health to create healthy, creative options year-round.
- St. Bon’s shared their story as the first F2S salad bar program in NL and showed off their greenhouse.
- Chad led a communications boot camp to prepare schools to share their F2S story with media and their communities.
What were people saying?
“Enjoyed hands-on salad bar training. Making the connection between what is sourced and what is served.”
“The facilitators were so encouraging and knowledgeable! Loved it!”
“Lots of concrete, useful ideas to take back to our school.”
“Enjoyed learning the roles that kids can participate in that will make this initiative more meaningful.”