Post Date: April 1, 2020
Farm to Cafeteria Canada (F2CC) and the Social Planning and Research Council of British Columbia (SPARC BC) seek an experienced National Director to represent F2CC, providing strategic direction, leading the F2CC team, and effectively managing our programs and services.
Summary of Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develops and/or revises F2CC’s strategic plan, including a sustainability plan for key initiatives.
- Advises the F2CC Leadership Council (LC) and the fiscal sponsor agency (SPARC BC) of external issues and opportunities that may affect F2CC.
- Drafts and/or reviews F2CC policies and procedures and ensures their implementation, in collaboration with the LC.
- Organizes and Chairs biannual meetings of the LC.
- Fosters effective teamwork between the LC, the fiscal sponsor agency, project-based Steering Committees and consultants.
- Represents F2CC on committees, or in strategic activities as required, to raise the profile of F2CC and advance F2CC’s vision and mission.
- Acts as the public spokesperson for F2CC.
Planning and Management
- Oversees the planning, implementation, evaluation and/or communication of F2CC’s programs, projects and services, including the Farm to School: Canada Digs in! (F2SCDI) initiative and the Farm to School Canada Grants (F2SCG) program.
- Monitors delivery of programs to ensure high quality of service and that deliverables are met in a timely manner.
- Advises on the development of program evaluation plans and tools, monitors evaluation processes.
- Oversees the planning and implementation of knowledge transfer and exchange strategies.
- Oversees national conference planning, providing guidance on development and implementation of such events, participating in planning committee(s) as appropriate.
- Organizes and participates in monthly meetings with senior management of the fiscal sponsor agency to review core projects and to receive guidance on project work plans and budgets.
- Organizes and chairs quarterly meetings of project Steering Committee(s) to review and gather partner feedback on project work plans and budgets.
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Determines requirements for organizational management and program delivery.
- Absent one or more core Project Managers, the National Director oversees all positions responsible for the implementation, communication and evaluation of F2CC projects, programs and activities. If there is a Project Manager in place, supporting project team members will report to that individual and the National Director will provide oversight.
- Leads processes to recruit, retain and orient consultants; supports the fiscal sponsor agency, as needed, to develop contracts for project consultants.
Financial Planning and Management
- Works with LC to prepare a comprehensive budget for F2CC.
- Works with LC, the fiscal sponsor agency, principal partner agencies and core staff to secure project funding.
- Leads the development of partnerships, including potential investors.
- Oversees the development of funding plans and proposals, including the development of project work plans and budgets.
- Reviews and approves project spending in consultation with the fiscal sponsor agency.
- Produces financial reports in collaboration with the fiscal sponsor agency.
- Acts as the primary point of contact with partners, including funders.
- Leads or supports food policy efforts directly related to ongoing projects, including the development of policy statements.
- Establishes good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians and other organizations to help achieve the goals of F2CC.
Qualifications and Skills
- A graduate degree in a relevant discipline. Examples of preferable graduate degrees include: public health, community nutrition, community development, food policy, sustainable food systems, food security and public administration.
- Experience in an Executive Director role (or an equivalent senior management position) with a demonstrated ability to manage complex projects.
- Solid understanding of Canada’s Farm to Cafeteria initiatives.
- Well-connected within Canada’s Farm to School arena, including related policy, research and practice fields at provincial and national levels.
- An excellent track record in the areas of partnership development and fundraising.
- Experienced in group facilitation and a strong ability to foster active engagement by a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience in organizing and overseeing the organization of small and large-scale events.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Competent in public speaking and media relations.
- Excellent written communication skills and the ability to craft documents for a wide range of audiences.
- Proficiency in both official languages is preferred.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The National Director sets their hours, but the expectation is for the successful applicant to work Monday – Friday.
Occasional weekend work may be required. This position will involve some travel.
Duration of Contract
This is a two-year contract with the potential to renew. Expected start date is as soon as possible.
The salary range for this position is $85,000 – $95,000 annually plus benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Location of Work
The position will be based out of the SPARC BC’s Offices in Burnaby, BC. For the right candidate, we may consider a remote working arrangement.
Applying for the Position
Please submit a covering letter and your resume to Kristine Chew at SPARC BC via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until 4:30pm PST April 30, 2020.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.