This year marks the 5th Annual Farm to School Month in Canada! We invite you to join us as we celebrate and strive to make this be the biggest, most successful campaign yet.
Farm to School Month provides an opportunity to engage and connect pre-school, school (K-12) and campus communities to showcase the diverse farm and local food to school initiatives across the country, while inspiring others to join the movement. Most importantly, participation in Farm to School Month activities helps to raise the profile of these efforts and garner increased support to put more healthy, local food on the minds and plates of students across Canada.
You can show your support and be part of Canada’s Farm to School Month story by participating in the social media campaign #DigInCanada anytime during the month of October. Register, share a photo and let us know what inspires you about farm and local food to school activities. Anyone can participate, and schools will be entered to win one of THREE $1,500 grants, courtesy of our partners at Whole Kids Foundation.
In addition to the social media campaign, our Farm to Cafeteria Canada team will be celebrating by releasing a NEW fact sheet as part of our Featured Resources and hosting knowledge exchange events in each of the 5 participating provinces in our Farm to School: Canada Digs In! initiative, as follows:
- Toronto, Ontario: September 28 – 29 (K-12 fall training)
- Vancouver, British Columbia: October 12 – 13 (K-12 fall training)
- Montreal, Quebec: October 22 – 23 (K-12 fall training)
- St John’s, Newfoundland: October 25 – 26 (K-12 fall training)
- Moncton, New Brunswick: October 29 (K-12 fall training)
- PLUS a wide variety of campus celebrations, from Victoria to Fredericton, throughout October, including Harvest Festivals, local food cooking workshops, Local Food Day and World Food Day celebrations and MORE!
Collectively, these events will bring together more than 500 school and campus community members to learn about and celebrate healthy, local school food systems. You can check out our blog for recaps of these events starting on Monday October 1st. We’ll also be posting weekly profiles of farmers and community champions of the Farm to School movement across Canada that you won’t want to miss!
To learn more about Farm to School Month in Canada, including additional ways to celebrate and get involved, visit the campaign webpage and follow-us on social media to stay up-to-date on the celebrations.